The foundations for Visser Transporten were laid down in 1920 by grandfather (in Frisian: “pake”) Willem Visser, a barge shipper, ferrying packages and passengers along the waterways between Bolsward, Harlingen and Franeker.
His son Willem joined the business in 1948 and continued this service by road with a truck.
The package deliveries began to decline, and Willem made the switch to independent freight transport.
His sons Gjalt and Peter, the current managing directors, joined the company in 1987 further developing and expanding the business.
In 1990 the company moved to the industrial estate "de Marne" on the west side of Bolsward. As well as a vehicle maintenance garage and fleet parking facility, there is also a large warehouse for household goods storage and an office for the administration team.